Into Each Life...Etc., Etc., Etc.

You know that old adage, "Into each life a little rain must fall"?
Well, mine "fell" yesterday morning in the form of a bottle of
olive oil. You see, early yesterday, as I was preparing some of the
food which would be consumed so eagerly my whole family later in
the day, I opened a cabinet to get a bottle of olive oil, but instead
of grasping it, I bumped it somehow, causing it to fall on my left
foot. It hurt like the very devil, and I hopped around muttering
vague obscenities under my breath (the rest of the household was
asleep and I was trying to be considerate), then retrieved my
reliable remedy, Arnica, rubbed it on the aching toe, and promptly
forgot about it in the overwhelming busyness of the day, during
which I was almost continuously on my feet.

Only after the last of the thundering herd (I say this with deepest
affection, you understand) had departed, the dishwasher was
loaded, the carpet vacuumed, and the house generally returned to
some semblance of order, did I realize that I was limping. And when
I took off my slippers and socks, lo and behold I was greeted by
this sight.
 
I know, feet are not exceptionally lovely at the best of times, but
the vivid discoloration of this poor toe was shocking, even to me.
And the discomfort was now considerable (aided and abetted by
the sight before me, I'm sure). So- more Arnica, a couple of
Aleve, and off to bed, the only sure-fire remedy for anything and
everything, in my book.

Presided at worship and preached wearing slippers this morning,
as shoes were just too uncomfortable. Stopped by the open house
of some friends- delightful to see their grown children again and
to catch up a bit with the family. And then it was home again,
home again, where I have been comfortably ensconced in my
lovely red recliner, staying off my foot as much as possible in
order to facilitate healing. Guess if it's the price I have to pay
for the lovely and family-filled day I had yesterday, I'll take
the "rain" of today. (Sigh.) But that d**ned toe sure does hurt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response...of Sorts

Life is a Mixed Bag...

In Kenya...