Rwanda Wa(o)nderings...

A different breath of air filling my lungs...
a different feel of sun and wind touching my skin...
a different scent of living things filling my nostrils
      and my mind...
a different sight of views both unfamiliar and exotic 
      filling my eyes...
My senses reel...
      gently and not-so-gently assaulted by
      this different clime...
this place across the world from home where my heart
      feels both at home and feels a stranger,
where my mind speaks a "yes" and "no" concurrently,
uncertain of what force draws me here...
draws forth my love...
stirs up my sadness-tinged anger...
elicits hope and grief in equal measure...

This is Rwanda, land of a thousand hills, Milles Collines...
where once the blood of many thousands ran...
where neighbor turned on neighbor in media-flamed hatred...
where "good" people performed acts unspeakable...
while the nations of the world turned their backs and
        closed their eyes, dead to the shouts of agony
        and cries for help rising from death-ridden streets.

So- what draws me here?
Perhaps hope's never-dying spirit, 
        which oozes from the pores of so many Rwandese...
        which marks their often-scarred faces with a sense 
              better todays and tomorrows...
perhaps the lovely children and sweet young families
        just beginning their life's journey, filled with a determination
        that life will be better for their children...
perhaps simply the lush lovely countryside...
but most of all, 
        there is the wonder I sense that this country
               exists at all, is firmly here,
               intending to stay and grow and thrive
               and be a nation united.
This is Rwanda- and I am here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a Mixed Bag...

A Response...of Sorts

In Kenya...