The Simple Things...

And suddenly it is mid-July...summer is simmering, and here in Carolina the rains have been on-going, breaking records from the mountains to the coast, while forest fires continue to rage in the west. Reminds me to be grateful for whatever each day holds, however it unfolds. And summer foods are a special gift: home-grown tomatoes, corn-on-the-cob, peaches, watermelon, blueberries, green beans, peppers...virtually all of my favorite fruits and vegetables, making each dinner table a veritable rainbow of colors, a cornucopia of flavors.  

 The grands are loving summertime, too, spending long hours outdoors and relishing every moment of the somewhat intermittent sunshine. I see them growing brown and strong and, again, I give thanks for the gift of their presence in my life.

Now that I have more time for myself, I have been cooking and baking, loving the time in the kitchen, imbuing each recipe with lots of love for all those who will share the abundance with me. I picture the smiles on their faces as, together, we relish each bite and the blessing of shared food.

Life is overflowing with simple things right now- doing laundry, occasionally cleaning, cooking, reading, napping. And I'm taking a great strength and flexibility class twice a week to help keep myself in as good shape as this 70-something woman can be, accompanied by my Friday yoga class. I won't call them fun, exactly, but these classes do make me feel better and I truly appreciate the patient teachers who work with us.

More time, too, for friends...dinner with one next week, lunch with another...and I had a couple of delightfully lengthy phone conversations this week with far-away friends, almost (but not quite) as good as hugs. Next weekend I'm visiting with three of the grands, and August promises visits with my daughter and granddaughter in Wilmington as well as a trip to Arlington to visit my youngest sister and her family.

It really is about gratitude, isn't it? Thankfulness for EVERY PART of these days, these simply beautiful, wonderful days of my life...for what more could I possibly want or need than good food, precious friends, and loving family? LIFE IS GOOD😊...and today, I give thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response...of Sorts

Life is a Mixed Bag...

In Kenya...