Monday Morning Coming Down...

     I'm thinking of my friend, Diane, this morning, as she is facing a bronchoscopy...of my children and 
grandchildren...of my sister, Susan...of our Gourmet Group, seven wonderful women who meet together and eat together and are missing each other terribly...of all the people of Emmanuel Lutheran Church in High Point, where I am presently interim pastor...of far-away friends and family...of all health care workers...of everyone working to keep us comfortable and safe...of all those who serve invisibly and silently but so essentially to maintain our well-being...of the people at the southern border, caught between here and there... of those in refugee camps throughout the world for whom uncertainty has become the norm...
    I'm thinking of the future, wondering what it will bring- but it is so uncertain that I can really focus only on today- here...now. It is truly all we have. But I cannot help wondering about our nation, our culture, our economy, our world. So many people out of work...so many deeply worried about how they will pay their bills...buy food...afford health care, should they require it. This is a time when we should be caring about one another more than ever. This is a time when we should be so very grateful for all we have, instead of complaining about what we don't.
    But human nature being what it is, we DO gripe, ruing what has been taken away instead of focusing on what we have right in front of our eyes, especially those of us who do have. Mea culpa. I'm as guilty as the next person, so I'm doing no finger-pointing here. Just looking deep within my own heart to create an awareness, an open space for the pain of those not as fortunate; to reach out in whatever way I can to those in need by sharing what I have...even if I'm not sure exactly how...Lord, have mercy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response...of Sorts

Life is a Mixed Bag...

In Kenya...