Awake...alert to possibilities
Enshrouded in hope
Prodded by pinpricks of daring
A voice variously whispering, singing, shouting
Yes, you can!
Aware that only if I let go of
security...certainty...routine
Will I ever FLY
Yes, we're here, after 24 hours of travel time and nearly 40 hours without real sleep. Last night the bed at the Wildebeest was so welcoming and I slept until 9a.m. for the first time in years. No apparent jet lag...and a slow,pleasant day today, doing a few errands, catching up on email, reading, and talking with people here. For those of you in Carolina who continually complain about our roads being under continual construction (and I am one of you), after riding down a main road near here and watching our driver doing potholes and serving into the non-existent shoulder the road countless times, I pledged never to complain about our roads again. The people here would think they were in heaven driving I-85...while we Carolinians mutter under our breaths and curse the NCDOT. All a matter of perspective, I guess, but we Americans have so much for which to be thankful- and too often aren't! Tomorrow we head to Rwanda to visit with friends and meet our newest grandmothers the...
Here I sit, safe and comfortable in my room...well-fed...in need of nothing I can think of- except, of course, to have my "life" back. And yet, I know that it will be a long, long time before that happens...before life is some semblance of what we once thought of as "normal". So I find that, as much as I would like to believe otherwise, I am in mourning, grieving for the life that once was and which may, realistically, never be again. Oh, I don't mean to sound pessimistic but let's face the facts- and they are actually very few: this virus is unlike anything medicine and science has seen before and regardless of where it came from or how it began, it is affecting the whole world to one degree or another. The experts in medicine and public health are not at all certain about more things than about which they are sure. Yes, they know this virus is especially communicable. That seems to be a given. But what they do not know is 1) how many of us are walkin...
Spent a few hours at one of my favorite places this morning, writing. For some reason, my creativity seems to find expression when I am away from home, away from the familiar places I usually inhabit. And, with pen in hand- yes, I actually put pen to paper, rather than using a computer for creative writing- I put my feelings down, surprising myself, as usual, with the results, as I bounced all over the place emotionally. And so, I' m daring to share them with you, always a risk for a writer, a poet...(deep sigh, gulp, share...) the wren singing at the top of its voice each morning tiny wren mighty voice daring to sing its own sweet song welcoming the day daring to be freely, fully itself no holding back no second guessing warbling an invitation to this often-reluctant human- be yourself! lift your voice! be daring! make the most of it, no matter what what baggage am I STILL carrying?...
Comments
Post a Comment