Talking about the Weather...and More...

Today's weather here in my part of Carolina can be described in
one word: GLORIOUS. Temperature presently 66 degrees, bright
sunshine, Carolina-blue skies with a dusting of fluffy white,
cotton-candy clouds, and a slight breeze tickling the leaves in the
trees outside my window. Our first taste of autumn- and this
thrive-in-cool-weather person loves it.

We've had a very wet summer here, with an overabundance of
gray days, something unusual for us, and I heard lots of griping
from folks on those days, as they expressed the wish that the
wet weather would end. And so it has, as we've moved into a
dry cycle which has some of those same folks complaining
about the need to water their flowers or lawns.

Kind of a metaphor for life, it seems to me, this love-hate
relationship with the weather- OVER WHICH WE HAVE NO
CONTROL. And perhaps that is part of the reason for the griping
and complaining. It just happens to us- and we are left
contemplating what has occurred, what is occurring, with a
sense of helplessness- and sometimes- as in the case of
things like the massive rains and flooding in Colorado-
hopelessness.

It sounds trite, but life happens, just as weather happens...
out of our control, often beyond our understanding...and we
are left with the choice to gripe, complain, kvetch, become
depressed by it all, or to look it in the eye with acceptance
(which is not the same thing as resignation), a sense of
okay-ness, and get on with life. Of course, an important part
of the "getting on with it" is being open, aware, awake, to the
many surprises which await us on this often-messy, always-
challenging journey we call Living.

I had gone out late this morning to redeem my free beverage
at the local Starbucks and was returning home when I chanced
to glance to my right at the Krispy Kreme and received a
wonderful surprise: white irises in full bloom. Now, had this
been April or May, the spectacle would have been lovely, but
in mid-September, it was truly a miracle. And so I pulled into
the parking lot, got out my cell phone, and snapped a couple
of photos. Why they were blooming now is a mystery- but I
was intensely grateful that I happened to turn my head in
their direction and saw them.


So it is with life- and weather. In the midst of storms, a
rainbow...in the midst of sorrow, the joy of a friend's presence...
in the midst of winter's cold, a dusting of pure, white snow...
in the midst of hardship and discouragement, a helping hand
reached out to comfort and encourage.

Today is GLORIOUS...and I welcome, accept, rejoice in that
with my arms and heart wide open...for who knows what
tomorrow will bring? And in it all, I am reminded to be truly
thankful- for life, for weather, for surprises. Thanks be to God!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a Mixed Bag...

A Response...of Sorts

In Kenya...